Caution before buying your temporary car shelter in Vaudreuil-Dorion, Île Perrot, Pincourt and St-Lazare
October 08 2016, Marie-Andrée Boisvert
Winter is upon us and some of you have already considered purchasing a temporary car shelter to reduce snow removal and shoveling. However, some models on the market are much larger than in the past and are now too big for some municipalities.
To enlighten you, here is a summary of the area’s key regulations to give you an idea of the dimensions permitted for installation in your parking area, as well as installation dates.
According to zoning By-law 1275, Article 2.2.12. 2, temporary car shelters are allowed from the first (1st) of November of the current year until the fifteenth (15) of April of the following year. Also, for the storage period, they must be dismantled and kept as such at all other times.
According to this regulation, here are the other conditions that mustbe respected:
- The temporary car shelters must be made of a metal or wood frame covered with canvas or polyethylene.
- Temporary car shelters must be placed at least six hundredths of a meter (0.60 m) from a sidewalk and never less than three meters (3 m or 9 feet 10 inches) from a paved street.
- The maximum height of a temporary car shelter is two meters and three tenths meters (2.3 m or 7 feet 6 inches).
- The maximum ground coverage for a temporary carport is sixty-five square meters (65 m2 or 699.65 sq. ft.).
Île-Perrot allows earlier installation: it’s permitted to install a temporary car shelter from October 15 of one year to April 15 of the following year. No certificate is required for this type of installation, but the shelter must be erected on a parking space that is a minimum of three meters (3 m or 9 feet 10 inches) from a paved street one meter (1 m or 3 feet 3 inches) from any side lot line.
City of Pincourt
In the city of Pincourt, there are similarities to the regulations on Île Perrot, namely:
- One seasonal car shelter is authorized by lot
- The temporary car shelter must be erected on a parking space
- The temporary car shelter must be kept clean and in good condition
- The temporary car shelter must be made from an industrial manufactured tubular metal frame, covered with no more than two non-rigid materials per shelter
- The temporary car shelter must be installed from October 15 of one year to April 15 of the following year
In St-Lazare, temporary car shelters are only allowed:
- To accommodate vehicles
- In parking areas
Temporary car shelters:
- Must be a minimum distance of 2 meters (6.6 feet) from the sidewalk, the curb or the outer limit of a ditch
- Must be a minimum distance of one meter from all other property lines;
- Temporary car shelters are permitted from October 15 to April 15 of each year
- For other municipalities, visit municipal websites.
Caution before buying
Always check the regulations regarding temporary car shelters before considering the purchase of a temporary shelter. Temporary car shelters are becoming larger to provide more space and some models do not meet all municipal regulations. Therefore, it would be best to check before making your purchase to avoid inconveniences this winter.